SEEKING FEMALE ARTIST
Theatrical, athletic, and technical female dancer needed by SB Dance, a nonprofit arts group based in Salt Lake City, Utah since 1996 and directed by Stephen Brown. Learn about the company here and check out the videos below:
- Curbside Theater’s Tarotville (4 min reel)
- Tarotville “The Sun” (3 min)
- Tarotville “The High Priestess”(5 min)
- Proscenium work: Tra Le (6 min, preceded by intro video), Mozart Sonata 12 (7 min) and Bach Prelude in C (6 min)
The company’s current focus is a pioneering outdoor program called Curbside Theater. You have to be okay with a little height and thrill. Lots of partnering. Helps to be 5’5″ or taller. In 2024, we’ll mainly be performing Tarotville sections from 2023 plus making up new ones.
SB Dance is a project company (see below for pay and work periods). That means you’re an independent contractor, and we figure out a schedule together. It’s a tight-knit team of 5 dancers, actor, musician, and director. Professional conditions and expectations. Harrassment policy enforced. It’s a collaborative, non-hierarchical working environment. Everyone has a say and is expected to contribute. Most people have day jobs so we rehearse outside of regular hours and minimize weekday travel. Some overnight tours.
The opportunity is fun and approachable work, good people, decent pay, with lots of performing and room for expression. It’s unusual. We’re unusual. If you are too, it might be a good match.
SCHEDULE AND PAY
$20/hr. 3hr rehearsals, usually starting 6pm on weeknights. Usually in or around SLC Avenues.
$125 per show (approx $50/hr). Approx July 23 thru Oct 13. Mainly Fridays and Saturdays but some week nights. Shows start around dusk, which ranges from 7:45pm to 9:45pm depending on the date. You arrive 60 min in advance, driving to the location. Off Labor Day weekend. Usually 15-22 shows per season. Maybe an overnight tour someplace magical.
The team collaborates to make a REHEARSAL SCHEDULE. Mostly, we’re referring to 3-hr group rehearsals here. (There are usually additional solo and duo 2-hr rehearsals, but they’re easier to schedule).
– Total number of rehearsals depends on how much new stuff. A completely new show is around 50.
– Number of rehearsals per week is generally 2 to 3, and sometimes 4 as we get closer to opening.
– Rehearsal periods are generally a few weeks here, then a break, then a few more weeks. In 2024, rehearsal periods are: 3/23-31; 4/14-16; 4/22-28; 5/11-31; and TBA in June and July.
The PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE for 2024 runs from 8/1-10/12, mainly weekend evenings, with a Labor Day break. There are a usually about 3 week night shows; 3 daytime media events; and 1-2 overnight tours.
The best way to contact us is to DM @sbdanceco on Instagram. If you’re not on IG, then good for you, and email info at sbdance dot com. Please introduce yourself, your height, describe your performance experience, include acting, vocal, or athletic skills, and provide links to a reel or video. Thank you.